Westminster Bookstore

The Absolute Best In Reformed Literature...Check 'em Out!!!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Precipice

Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.  - (Jude 1:3-4 ESV)
 
We are on the precipice of an exodus...

The stuff we’re hearing out of most modern-day pulpits
Amounts to an epic fail
Pastors pontificating on bar stools
Telling old wives’ tales
Not intoxicated by the Word
But drunk off of themselves
Proper prophesying
Appears to be a dying art form
While the power of positive thinking
And prosperity of wealth are the norm

We are on the precipice...

The pursuit of Truth has been relegated to the shelf
As these wolves in stealth mode are pointing the flock
In the direction of the self-help section
They've got new laws to cover your flaws
Telling me that my excellence is in my ability to excel at Lent
And that when I survey the wondrous cross
I can bet my last dollar that the Lord wants me to be rich

Rob Bell says to just say no to the notion of Hell
And Joel Osteen says I can have it all and have it right now
(Did I forget to mention that both of those are bestsellers?)
Oh well - Farewell to the deferred gratification
Of being face to face with the Savior
And since everybody wins
There's no need to repent
For our misguided thinking and behavior

We are on the precipice...

Of becoming obsolete
Watered down like a sandcastle edifice
And now the dry bones are starting to surface
As the evidence to our detriment

The axe has been laid at the root
John the Baptist said it first
And if he was alive today
They'd still be trying to put that dude
In a pine box and a hearse
"Off with his head!"
But blessed are the dead
Those who die in the Lord from now on

We are on the precipice of a resurrection...

But I thought you knew that all along?!

(cf. Judges 21:25; Luke 3:9; 2 Timothy 4:3; 1 John 2:19; Revelation 14:13)

Soli Deo Gloria,
Shon

No comments:

Facebook Badge