Westminster Bookstore

The Absolute Best In Reformed Literature...Check 'em Out!!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Altered Beast

227813706_49c6900e07

For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

- (Romans 8:13 ESV)

 

There’s a bad moon rising…

Satan’s enticing me –

Telling me to feel the fire in my lungs

Let go of my tongue

And shipwreck this relationship

Over which I’ve so graciously been given stewardship

Emotions are running high –

Strung so tight

That it’s like a thick cord

You could cut with a knife

So I fashion my words into a saber

And keep taking slice after slice

Until there is nothing left

But death…

 

Relationship thrown to the wayside

In a moment of rage

Setting the stage for a catastrophic crescendo –

A cacophony of swearing and not caring about the outcome

Don’t really care if the premise of the beef dumb

Because it doesn’t matter who’s right or left

The only thing that’s worth caring about

Is that I’ve won…HELL YES!

No. 1 with a bullet…

Let the world know that I’ve got a hair trigger

And that I ain’t afraid to pull it

Instead of going out like a sucker

I’ll show my teeth

And suck the life out of another

Dig in deep – getting all the flesh I need

But when the blood’s been drawn

And the bones picked dry

The only thing left to kill is me…

 

So I turn my aggressiveness inward

On the oppression that stifles my conscience

Go savage on my insecurities

And rest in the surety

Of the Almighty’s benevolent abundance

He is omnipotent –

So His grace is more than sufficient

To cover the inadequacy of my emotions

To deal with the feelings

That someone’s disrespecting me

 

I’m reminded that I’m a new creature –

An altered beast who desires to be meek

Overcome my desire to win

By changing my perception of defeat

So instead of assaulting a perceived adversary

I put salt in my speech

Walk in peace with grace and forgiveness

Speak softly and turn the other cheek

 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

- (2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV)

 

Soli Deo Gloria,

Shon

 

 


Posted via email from THE CENTER (ROOM 116)

No comments:

Facebook Badge