Westminster Bookstore

The Absolute Best In Reformed Literature...Check 'em Out!!!

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Taste

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
(Romans 7:24 ESV)


What happens when the taste
Becomes stronger than grace?
When I’m more about seeking the thrill
Than seeking your face?
The burnout is inevitable
But the rush is so incredible
You only live once
And I don’t want it to be regrettable

Half of me says, “One time never hurt anybody.”
The other half says I worry too much:
“You don’t even have to think about it.”
Eat, drink, and be merry
Never seems to be scary
Until you discover
That the meal’s being prepared
In an environment that’s unsanitary

An occasional lick of the spoon
Now turns into a toxic addiction
And my microscopic pursuit of joy
Has led to a life of telescopic affliction
Tried to divide my passions
Between redemption and lies
But when the latter won my affection
It left me with no way to climb…

Yet your mercy still abounds
Like a shot to the heart
While I was on the ground dying
(In this case, not a bad place to start)
Behaviors I used to savor
No longer renew my confusion
Now I’m infused with new life
To comprehend your mercy and beauty


What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
(Romans 6:1-4 ESV)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1 John 1:9 ESV)

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
(Hebrews 4:15-16 ESV)


Soli Deo Gloria,
Shon

No comments:

Facebook Badge