Westminster Bookstore

The Absolute Best In Reformed Literature...Check 'em Out!!!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dust with a Pen

“…then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.”
- (Genesis 2:7 ESV)

“But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.”
- (2 Corinthians 4:7 ESV)

I'm just dust with a pen
Graciously given a talent for word play
And redemption from sin
So it’s by design that my mind conjures rhymes
Finds a scheme with meaning
Then puts it in time
Tune my phrases to praise
Doxology and sound doctrine
Influenced in every nuance
By the words of the Master and his apostles
 
Gospel saturated –
My mind is fascinated with the deep riches of the Almighty
Then give it to you in a category
That’s so nice and tidy
Precept upon precept, line upon line
I go stupid on the page
As so to never leave you blind
Or ignorant to your Maker
Who makes lovers out of haters
Renewed my mind to the craft
So now I break bread with my neighbors
Instead of breaking bones
I break up the Truth in my poems
So that when you’re done tweetin’
About what you’ve eaten
These crumbs will help to lead you home
 
‘Cause once you get a taste from this place
You’ll be coming back for seconds
He’s coming back to judge the quick and the dead
And that could be at any second
No second guessing – you won’t miss it
It’s gonna happen in an instant
When he cracks the sky for the last time
He won’t be looking for repentance
 
My Ebenezer and stronghold
Is tougher than ten walls of Jericho
He stands with us in the furnace
(Just ask Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego)
Man of War, Lamb of God, the mighty Lion of Judah
He’s got the whole world in his hands
And the government’s on his shoulders
What a privilege it is
For this earthen vessel to hold these treasures
So as soon as my pen hits the page
I'm scribbling for his pleasure

“Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD!”
- (Psalm 150:6 ESV)

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
- (1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV)


Soli Deo Gloria,
Shon

No comments:

Facebook Badge